"THE CALL" AWARDED AT HOT DOCS
After the World Premiere at the 58th Festival dei Popoli the documentary film THE CALL (La convocazione) by Enrico Maisto (Italy, 2017, 57'), won the Best Mid-Length Documentary Award ($ 3,000) at Hot Docs Canadian - International Documentary Festival .
Jury statement: “This deceptively simple portrait of the Italian criminal justice system at work demonstrated a formal rigor and quiet intimacy that opened up broad questions about civic duty, justice, democracy and human nature.”
Appeal Court of Assizes, Milan. Morning. An unfamiliar, empty room accommodates a few people summoned there, on that day, without grounds. Their eyes look dazed, the half exchanges between them are cautious. At this point, the viewer is wonderfully, unexpectedly let into an intricate world made of whispered comments, breaths, silences, questions, and quiet confessions from strangers to strangers. These are the fragments of faces and thoughts belonging to the unknown individuals chosen for the trial jury of the Milan Appeal Court of Assizes, that is working on the most well-known massacres and crimes of the past few decades in Italy.
FESTIVALS & AWARDS
* Hot Docs - Canadian International Documentary Film Festival - Best Mid-length Documentary Award
* 58th Festival dei Popoli – "MyMovies Audience Award"
* IDFA International Documentary Festival Amsterdam
* Milano Film Network
* Budapest International Documentary Film Festival
* DocPoint Helsinki International Documentary Film Festival
* Hot Docs Canadian International Documentary Festival