WHAT'S DOC AT WORK?
Doc at Work proposes meetings with filmmakers and other professionals from the cinema industry (producers, buyers, distribution companies, representatives of other festivals) to explore themes concerning documentary cinema, comparing points of view, production experiences and practices. Doc at Work offers a variety of proposals:
Masterclasses - meetings held by internationally renowned filmmakers during which they explain their work, the search for inspiration and how to work on the script, the development of a personal style, the relationships between the creative side and the productive side of the work.
List of previous Masterclasses:
- 2014 “On Truth and Fiction in Documentary Cinema” – Masterclass held by Jos de Putter (director and producer, Netherland)
- 2016 "5 Strayed Films" - Masterclass held by Sergio Oksman (director, Brazil/Spain);
- 2017 "The Power of Observation: How and Why I Make "Observational" Documentaries" - Masterclass held by Kazuhiro Soda (director, Japan);
- 2018 "A Relational Cinema" - Masterclass held by Roberto Minervini (director, Italy);
- 2018 “Landscape and Politics” Masterclass held by Dominque Marchais (director, France).
Panel discussions: Filmmakers of different geographical, cultural and educational backgrounds are invited to discuss about a theme that is deeply relevant in their works.
List of previous panel discussions:
- 2018 “Memory and the Archives” - Reflection on the value of Memory and Archives as important tools not only for cinema but to design our future paths.
- 2018 "DocXchange: Documentary Exhibitors Collective - Network of international cinemas dedicated to documentary films".
Workshops - Meetings conducted by professionals from the cinema industry in which the various and multiple skills are teached to students and young filmmakers for educational purposes.
List of previous workshops:
- 2014 "The First Five Minutes: How to Start Your Doc" - Workshop on editing by Jan Rofekamp (Producer, Netherland)
- 2014 “Making Movies: The Mind at Work - From the Development of a Project to the Editing Process” - Workshop on editing by Dominique Auvray (Filmmaker and producer, France)
- 2015 "The Empathic Camera" - Workshop on shooting techniques by Wojciech Staroń (Filmmaker and DOP, Poland)
- 2016 "The Invention of Reality" - Workshop on writing of the subject by Sergio Oksman (director, Brazil/Spain)
- 2016 "Filming Sensations" Workshop by Danielle Arbid (director, Lebanon/France)
- 2016 "Virtual Reality, the new border for documentary cinema?" – Workshop by Radical Plans (Italy).
- 2016 "Documentary Storytelling – the shape of stories" - Workshop about storytelling by Roberto Malfagia (La Jetée – Storytelling School, Italy)
Seminars – The Festival dei Popoli seminars, held by directors, producers and other professionals present in Florence as guests during the Festival, is to provide information, practical advice and strategies on how to professionally face the cinema industry: festivals and film markets have their own rules and it is not easy for beginners to carefully evaluate the right moves to make in this world. Hence the importance, through the seminars, of receiving advice and strategic indications.
List of previous seminars:
- 2014 "I Have Made a Film, What Now? Tips and Tricks on Festival Strategy" - seminar held by Rada Sesic (Rotterdam International Film Festival)
- 2015 "On The Ground - The Future of (Online) Filmmaking" - seminar held by Jos de Putter (Director and producer, Netherland)
- 2015 "Self-Producing & Self-Distributing Your (Egoless) Documentary” - seminar held by Boris Mitić (Director, producer, DOP, Serbia)
- 2016 "Interactive Documentary - Pratiche digitali per il racconto del reale" - seminar held by Roberto Malfagia (La Jetée – Storytelling School, Italy)
- 2018 "Find Your Festival" - seminar held by Daniela Persico (Festival di Locarno)