RULES AND REGULATIONS 2019
1. The aim of the Festival dei Popoli is to promote and circulate creative documentary and cutting-edge films, foster
discussion between various branches of learning, and provide a space for the cinematic arts and other disciplines to engage
with each other and grow.
2. The festival is organized by the Festival dei Popoli – Italian Institute for Social Documentary Film ONLUS – with the
support of the Italian Ministry for Arts and Culture (Bureau of Cinema), the Tuscan Region, the City of Florence (Department
of Culture). Additional support is provided by other public institutions and by some private sponsors.
3. The 60th edition of the Festival dei Popoli – International Documentary Film Festival – will take place in Florence from November the 2nd to the 9th, 2019. The Festival programme includes: International Competition, Italian Competition, tributes and retrospectives, workshops, debates, focus, special events. The decisions of the Directors and the Selection Committee are based on the artistic and narrative merits of the works, on the originality and relevance of the topics, paying attention to gender representation in the overall composition of the programme.
4. THE INTERNATIONAL COMPETITION
Documentaries from all countries will be considered only if completed after November 1st, 2018 (or premiered after that date). In exceptional cases, and at the only discretion of the Festival Director, exemptions on the date may be made for films not yet publicly screened outside their country of origin. Films must be Italian premieres: works publicly disseminated via Internet and those already projected, in any place and context, in Italy will be excluded. World, International and European premiere will be preferred. In case of selection, the expected projection format is DCP. Other formats must be approved by the Programming Office of the Festival. No rental fees will be paid for the films included in the competitive section.
a) Official Palmarès
An International Jury composed of leading figures in documentary cinema will bestow the following Awards:
– Best Short Documentary (maximum length: 30 minutes): € 2,500.00 (divided equally between the director and the production).
– Best Mid-Length Documentary (length: between 31 and 60 minutes): € 4,000.00 (divided equally between the director and the production).
– Best Feature-Length Documentary (length: more than 60 minutes): € 8,000.00 (divided equally between the director and the production).
– Best Anthropological Film: “Gian Paolo Paoli” Award. Special Mentions may also be granted. The awards will be paid within twelve months from the Award Ceremony.
b) “The Gaze of the Other” Award
The films of the International Competition and Italian Competition compete to the “The Gaze of the Other. The Challenge of Dialogue between Cultures and Religions” Award (€ 1,500.00) bestowed by the Sangalli Institute for the Religious History and Cultures, of Florence.
c) MyMovies.it – Audience Award
The festival audience will express their preferences by voting the films presented in the International Competition and in the Italian Competition.
5. THE ITALIAN COMPETITION
Italian documentaries (minimum length: 50 minutes) will be considered only if completed after November 1st, 2018 (or premiered after that date). Films must be Italian premieres: works publicly disseminated via Internet and those already projected, in any place and context, in Italy will be excluded. World premiere will be preferred.
In case of selection, the expected projection format is DCP. Other formats must be approved by the Programming Office of the Festival. No rental fees will be paid for the films included in the competitive section.
a) Home-video Distribution Award: “POPOLI Doc”
Through this award, home video distribution company CG Entertainment (www.cgentertainment.it) offers to the winning Italian film the opportunity to be published in the “POPOLI Doc – The Festival dei Popoli Collection”, the home video series distributed throughout the Italian territory.
b) “The Gaze of the Other” Award
The films of the International Competition and Italian Competition compete to the “The Gaze of the Other. The Challenge of Dialogue between Cultures and Religions” Award (€ 1,500.00) bestowed by the Sangalli Institute for the Religious History and Cultures of Florence.
c) Theatrical distribution Award: “IMPERDIBILI”
La Compagnia is a project promoted by the Tuscan Region: a theatre in the centre of Florence conceived and managed by FST – Fondazione Sistema Toscana for all those who cultivate the passion for documentary films, experimentation, audiovisual culture in all its forms. The prize will be awarded by the Head of programming of the Cinema La Compagnia in conjunction with her team. The winner will be screened at the Cinema La Compagnia during a period of time to be agreed with the production/distribution.
6. OTHER SECTIONS
For the other sections (Out of Competition, Retrospectives and Tributes, Thematic Sections, Special Events), the Festival Management will invite films they deem appropriate for the Festival programme.
7. FILM REGISTRATION
a) Film submissions for the pre-selection involves the payment of a fee of € 15.00 for each film, as reimbursement of secretarial expenses. Films will be considered for the pre-selection only if their payment is in order.
b) Every film must be submitted through the online registration procedure on the festival official website https://www.festivaldeipopoli.org/. At the end of the registration process you will be asked to pay the registration fee via PayPal or via bank transfer. If necessary, you can ask questions at the email address: firstname.lastname@example.org.
We remind you that:
If a film is not selected, the submission fee cannot be refunded.
If a film submission is retracted, the submission fee cannot be refunded.
If an entry fee is paid twice or more, the additional payments cannot be refunded.
The title of the film must be indicated in the bank transfer. If not, the payment can not be correctly assigned to the film
and the fee will not be refunded.
c) Deadlines for online registration are based on the end of production date:
• June 21st, 2019, for every film produced before May the 31st 2019;
• July 26th 2019, for every film produced after the June the 1st (included) or still in progress (in this case we must receive a rough copy of the work in progress).
• Late submissions: Late film submission can be accepted (limited to the days between July 27th and August 5th 2019) but involves the payment of a fee of € 25.00.
d) Preview copy of the film should be sent by one of the following ways*:
– LINK with password protected access (Vimeo preferred and downloadable preferred). Please specify the url and the password in the entry form. Important: Expiration date of the link/password must be later than November, 2019.
– DVD (European zone “2” or zone “0”) sent by mail. The DVD must contain only one film and must be a high quality file.
Please, address the envelope to: Festival dei Popoli, Vicolo di Santa Maria Maggiore, 1, 50123 Firenze – Italy.
Films submitted for pre-selection must have Italian or English subtitles.
* Additional material will be required only in case of selection.
e) Shipping costs, as well as any customs fees, are at the expense of the participants. For customs purposes, we recommend you label your package: “Without commercial value, for cultural purposes only”. The Festival will not return materials or DVDs.
f) Filmmakers and/or producers are solely responsible for the contents of their film and must declare, upon registration in the Festival, to have fully complied with copyright laws.
g) Media Library
Submission offers the possibility, when registering the film, to include the selected films in the festival Media Library. This service has the sole purpose of promoting the film to professionals and festival guests (film producers, distributors, other festivals, press). Access to the Media Library is restricted to professionals only.
h) Registration is subject to acceptance of the condition that all materials received – including DVDs – shall remain in the Festival Archives and that permission is granted to the Festival to use them for educational, research, or promotional ends, including places and contexts other than the Festival, excluding commercial use. Finally, the Festival will act as a mediator between authors/producers and distributors.
8. SELECTED FILMS
a) The selection of films, the general program and the calendar of screenings are the exclusive responsibility of the Festival Management. If a film is considered of interest by the Selection Committee, the production or filmmaker will receive a preselection notification.
In case of Selection, the Official Invitation – with indication of the participation section – will be sent via email to the director or to the production of the film by the end of September 2019. The Official Selection will be announced at the press conference, which will take place in October 2019. It is forbidden to communicate the selection of the film to third parties before the press conference, unless specifically indicated by e-mail from the Festival dei Popoli Press Office. Candidates will be informed of the results of the selection starting from September the 27th, 2019.
9. DOCUMENTATION REQUIRED FOR SELECTED FILMS
In case of selection, materials must be sent as following:
– File with the final editing of the film for the festival Media Library (The Programme Office of the festival will provide the file specifications).
– 2 DVD copies with the final editing of the film. The DVDs will be used to prepare the Italian subtitles;
– 1 trailer of the film, for promotional purposes.
– Film synopsis, in English.
– Director’s statement concerning his/her working for the film.
– Director’s biography, in English (max 400 characters, spaces included).
– Director’s filmography (full list of titles and years of production).
– One photo of the filmmaker in digital format.
– Photographic documentation of the film with publishing authorization:
– Complete and final list of dialogues and list of subtitles (if any), in one of the following languages: English, French, Italian.
– Posters, posters, press books and postcards and any other material useful for promotional purposes.
10. ORIGINAL VERSION AND SUDTITLES
The selected films are screened in the original version with both English and Italian subtitles.
The copy of the film with printed English subtitles must be provided by the production and will be at its charge. Italian
subtitles, if available, should also be made available to the Festival. In the event that they are not available, the Festival takes responsibility for their realization and, in this case, the Italian subtitles remain of property of the company that produces them.
The producers and distributors of all the selected films commit to add the Festival dei Popoli logo on the final DCP copy (as well as on the final online viewing version) and to mention in their advertising material (poster, press kit, trailer, website, etc.) the selection of the film at the Festival dei Popoli, using the official logo that will be provided by the Festival. Under no circumstances may the official logo be modified without the Festival’s authorization.
11. SHIPMENT OF THE COPY
a) Film copies for screening, together with a Blu-ray (as safety copy), must arrive to the festival office no later than October 18th, 2019 according to indications and instructions given by the Festival Programming Office.
b) Shipments made from Non-European countries must include a customs invoice, a list of items, travel documents
(indicating the number of reels, length of film in meters, titles and quantity of video supports for each film). At the same time, the sender must notify the Festival Office of the shipping by sending an e-mail with the following information: title of the film, date and references of the shipment (AWB number).
c) Shipping expenses and customs clearance for screening copies of the selected films must be covered by the sender. Shipping expenses and customs clearance for the return of the items will be covered by the Festival. Should a copy of the film be requested for another festival after the screening of the film or anytime during the Festival dei Popoli, shipping expenses and customs clearance must be covered by the interested party. In any case, the Festival dei Popoli will cover the costs of only one shipment.
d) Should a filmmaker or producer decide to cancel his/her film from the Festival after the acceptance of the Official Invitation letter, he/she must pay a compensation fee of € 3,000.00.
12. DONATIONS TO THE FESTIVAL DEI POPOLI ARCHIVES
Donation of one copy of the film to the Festival Archives is greatly appreciated. The donated copy will be used for educational and research purposes only, and for preservation and promotion of documentary film, not for commercial use.
13. TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Participation in the selection implies the complete acceptance of the above Rules and Regulations. In case of conflicting interpretations, only the Italian version of the Rules and Regulations is considered valid. Any litigation will be judged by the Court of Florence, Italy.
FESTIVAL DEI POPOLI ISTITUTO ITALIANO PER IL FILM DI DOCUMENTAZIONE SOCIALE ONLUS
Vicolo di Santa Maria Maggiore, 1 – 50123 Florence – ITALY